June 24, 2009

Vacation journal- Day 6

We didn't do to much today, just messin around.
We woke up to the kids saying "when can we go swimming" I'm not sure they'll remember anything but the swimming! So we let them swim.

After that we took a ride to see a couple of historic homes. The first was Brigham Young's winter home. I was thinking it would be cool to show the kids how people used to live, but it didn't quite work out that way. Aside from the stove and the chamber pots, it wasn't too rustic at all.

Outside there was a mulberry tree that no one knew how old it was. It was planted because the silk worms were attracted to them so that's were the women would harvest there silk. It started splitting, so they called a "tree surgeon" I cant believe that the tree survived having been bolted and cemented together! Outside they also had grape vines, cotton plants, an almond tree, a fig tree, a pecan tree, and three pomegranate tree's. I've never seen such a variety of tree's in one place.




Next we went to John Somethingorother's house. (I should have payed more attention). He was called the Indian peacemaker and is inducted into the cowboy hall of fame. He had three wives (two of them at once) and 25 children. And I thought three were a handful. I didn't take too many pictures of his house because I as carrying a sleeping baby, but it was defiantly more rustic. I thought it was interesting that he was named Indian peacemaker when he lived at mountain meadows where the infamous mountain meadow massacre took place (a bunch of Indians killing settlers, I'm paraphrasing of course).
After the history lesson grandpa took the kids swimming again while grandma and I went for a little shopping.

I know this is gonna sound corny, and anyone who knows me knows I'm anything but corny. Having said that, I really miss Jeff. We haven't spent more then a couple days apart since we met close to 15 years ago. Maybe we'll come home early : )

No comments:

Post a Comment