November 19, 2009

Make ahead Christmas ornament Cookies!

Ok, I know I know... Thanksgiving hasn't even come yet. But If your like me you put up your Christmas tree as soon as the leftovers go in the fridge! These need to dry for a couple of day's so I thought I'd share the recipe early.
This year, now that my kids are getting older, we decided to decorate our tree with all homemade ornaments. I can't wait to see what it will look like all put together!

WARNING!
Your house will smell like a giant Cinnamon stick so if you don't like that kind of thing I'd skip this project : )
Cinnamon Ornaments
2 1/4 cups ground cinnamon
2 cups applesauce (give or take)
1/4 cup ground ginger
1/4 cup nutmeg
1- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (although it was messy we thought it worked better mixing it with our hands)
2- dust surface with cinnamon and roll dough to about 1/4 inch thickness, the thicker it is the longer it will take to dry.
3- cut out shapes with cookie cutters, and insert chopstick in top of each for ribbon, you can use anything that will make a small hole (ie. drinking straw, pen, toothpick)
4- transfer to a cookie sheet and allow to dry. Turning over once in a while until they are completely dry and hard.
5- Decorate! We used glitter glue for ease
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Holy Crap thats a lot of cinnamon! I bet your house does smell wonderful though. I may have to try this, how many cookies does one batch make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made 3 dozen avarage size ornaments and we could have made more. We still had a fist sized ball of dough left! Lukily cinnamon isn't expensive (I think they even have big bottles for sale at the dollar store)

    ReplyDelete